About The Sacrament of Confirmation
The confirmation program at Our Lady Queen of Peace is a three-level program for students age 14-17 designed to educate young people on the Principles of the Catholic Faith before receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Baptism, the Eucharist and the Sacrament of Confirmation together constitute the “sacraments of Christian initiation.”
According to the Catechism, Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:
– it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!”;
– it unites us more firmly to Christ;
– it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
– it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
– it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross:
Confirmation is about becoming part of and building up a Community of Faith. Young adults are given the opportunity and privilege to publicly accept the gift of faith and grace they received in the Sacrament of Baptism and to affirm their decision to live out a commitment to Jesus and the Catholic Church founded upon the rock of Peter. Confirmation candidates will be challenged to explore the impact such a decision will have upon their lives and the lives of their families, friends, and even the world.
To be eligible for the Sacrament of Confirmation, candidates must:
- Be a baptized Catholic and have made First Penance/Communion
- Be at least a junior in high school
- Have completed religious education program (through Catholic school education or Parish School of Religion classes).
- Select an appropriate sponsor who meets eligibility requirements
- Person must be suitable for this role and have the intention of fulfilling it
- Over sixteen years of age
- Be a Catholic in good standing who has received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation.
- Is not the father or mother of the person being confirmed.
- Attends Mass on a regular basis.
- If the sponsor is married, he/she must be in a valid marriage recognized by the Church.
- Only one sponsor may be selected.
- Godparents are an ideal choice for sponsors
To enroll your child for Parish School of Religion classes as preparation for Confirmation, click HERE.
To register your child for the Sacrament of Confirmation, click HERE.